Saturday, August 9, 2008

The week of booze

So, right now we are sitting in Baviera reminising about last night. My head hurts and I want to watch the olympics. So, last night was the most fun yet. It's pretty blurry to me now so Ill give snippets. We started out at the school cause it was this guy, Andrew's 20th birhtday so there was a little fiesta. The english guys brought a bottle of rum so we started there. Actually, we started at 430pm in a cafe after Jill and I got our pedicures. Anyway, then EVERYONE came out, like 15! Usually just a small group goes out but everyone did and it was fantastic. First we went to where the english guy, Richard, got a job, called Beer and Pool, creative. Got a liter each and did 8 counts. Let me inform you as to what an 8 count is...Jill made it up. So you go, 5 6 7 8, then you start drinking until the next 8 count is over, 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8...we had to drink the liter somehow! Then we left to La Rumba, of course. Where things began to get blurry. On the way though it was raining so Greg and Jill tried to fit into my sweater in front of me, so I couldn't see shit and they were bitching because I couldn't walk! So I attempted to salsa, and couldnt even do the basic steps, basico, pero no. I dont know what was going on until the birthday boy wanted to take a shot of tequila, which I despise but it was his birthday so I did...then I was having a really hard time holding it down and spitting on the floor cause my mouth was watering, wanting to throw it up, when all of sudden, the birthday boy projectile pukes everywhere! That was the end of holding it down cause I bent over and puke all over the floor! So gross! Ruchi was in direct line of fire cause her hair was full of chunks. Then, we just moved to another place in the bar and sat down. Jill says that all night her, Greg, Amy, and I were hugging cause it was 8 of hearts day, duh. You have to understand that us 4 kick ass and are always together, I love them! Anyway, every now and then we'd see Amy flipping around on the dance with who knows, Jill got to dance with the salsa instructor and asked him for private instruction, so we may do that so we can compete! Every time someone came up to ask us to dance I just said no and I was too drunk, haha. So we left Rumba and of course stopped by the new place, the hot dog stand, which has great hot dogs. Walked home in a group, which I had to pee really bad, so I just went ahead and took care of that in the street, no one saw and it was safe, but just kinda funny. Then, that was the night, for the most part. It was super fun and I love it here.

As far as the week goes, it included too much boozing. Dont know what happened to us but we ate out for dinner twice and the first time had one bottle of wine, the next we had 6, then the next day was salsa night so we went out, didnt do anything thursday night, then last night happened. Though this week I have a new instructor and she's great! She loves me! She's also complimented my spanish a couple times, which is great cause it gives me more confidence that I'm actually learning. She also does stuff for me all the time. Like I told her I wanted to take Paco home, so she asked the grandma if I could buy it and she said she'd just give it to me! So, mom and daddddddd, I'm going to look into getting it back to the states! This bird is awesome and would cost at least $800 in the states. So I'll look into it, but I doubt it will work out, I don't know how I'd get him back with all my stuff. Thursday we went to visit the hospital who has HIV and tuberculosis patients and is one of the options for volunteering...just hanging out and making friends with the patients. It was my first choice but after going there, no way. The lady said there was 0% chance of getting tuberculosis from the patients but that was such a lie. We get there and she tells us that the ones with masks are contagious so its good to wear masks too when talking to them, BUT she didn't give us masks and often the ones with masks would have them dangling around their necks or on top of their heads and we had to sit with them and play a fucking boardgame! Freaked me out and pissed me off they werent more precautious. So, I might have tuberculousis now. The hospital was crazy, like rooms full of beds and sick people. One lady had an eye with the pupil white, scared the shit out of me. After the hospital visit was salsa lessons, which are going great, we love it. So, the week after next we begin volunteering, though we dont even know what we're doing. Finding that some things arent too well organized and there aren't many options for volunteering with things having to do with health. So Jill and I are being proactive and are going to try to get opportunities at other hospitals. We'll see, visiting the general hospital monday and perhaps also another one my teacher may hook me up with. So, thats all for now, just hanging out this weekend cause we have nothing to do. Going to try to watch some of the games too!

Answer to dyl's question: they said things in front of people they werent supposed to, let secrets slip

Adios por ahora!

5 comments:

Dylan said...

Oh wow. Best quote of the blog yet: "The hospital was crazy, like rooms full of beds and sick people."

And "eight count"? That is ridiculous. It reminds me of a drink we call "the Sarah" which is just five shots in a row.

Anonymous said...

We took your computer etc over to that lady today.

Maybe you can find a hospital where there aren't things contagious - that is real scary - TB is nothing to be fooled with or even within a mile from.

I am sure that Popcorn would love the bird, I dont' think she has tasted one yet.

My its just been a month but seems so long.

Sorry Imissed your Skype - please try durign the day next week.

Love you.

Anonymous said...

My, my, dear daughter, please take it easy on the booze. Realize that you are so much more vulnerable when drunk, not to mention it affects your memory and makes you fat!

How's it going with the family?

Anonymous said...

They won't let you bring blueberries from Guat to US so I doubt they'll let you bring a bird. However I hope you can becasue that would be cool. I miss you already and please set up a date and time to skpe with me already please!!

Dylan said...

Dad, what do you mean "find a hospital where there aren't things that are contagious"? Living and working around diseases of all sorts comes with the job.

That said, you shouldn't be shy about protesting if a hospital isn't maintaining basic safety precautions like wearing a mask. Making a BIG deal about that is the right thing to do and worth the embarrasment.