Thursday, August 14, 2008

Volunteering

So I havent yet bitched about how unorganized the volunteering is here. So in the pamphlet we have like 6 options for volunteering but only 2 dealing with hospitals or medicine. We were told to pick our top 3 options last week so they could set up the schedule, yet last week they had only showed us 1 place, the TB place, which no way in hell am I working there. There was another one I was interested dealing with rehabilitation though I found something else! I was complaining to my teacher about how annoyed I was that there werent enough options to volunteer in a medical setting and how they havent even showed up the options we do have and how the TB place is not an option and bla bla bla, so she said she knew a doctor because she ran a spanish school once and one of her kids at the school was living with this doctor so she got to know him one way or another. SO, she said she'd ask him about me volunteering there! She asked and he said that he cant accept any volunteers right now because he has 8 med school kids already but to ask the other doctors at the clinic. Its a clinic for poor people, but the doctors are real and the clinic is nice, for a clinic. Anyway, we went there the other morning to get the answer from one of the other doctors, and she said yes! She's a pediactric doctor so I'll be volunteering with her for the next 10 weeks, 3 times a week, or 4, depending on if everything goes well! She didn't seem really nice, which makes me nervous to come in Monday but I think it's just because we snuck up to her right after her patient left and just before she could call for another...so who knows. But it's great and perfect because I really need patient contact experience and volunteering for PA school and I have none! I'm really excited but life is about to not be so easy going. The directors made out the schedule though for me to be there monday through friday and I'm like, what, no. As well as we only told the doctor 3 times a week, so I need to talk to the doc about maybe 4 times a week, but 5 I think is too much anyways. The one things that really blows though is that my schedule is opposite of Jill, Amy, and Gregs. I have class in the mornings and they work in the mornings then they have class in the afternoons and I have work in the afternoons! I'm so sad! Now I'm going to be so left out of all the jokes and shit cause 2 of them work together is one way or another every day...booooooooo. Whatev, I came here to learn spanish and volunteer and if this is the only way I can make that work, then so be it. Jill has Tuesdays off and I will too maybe so we can hang out then and we'll still have conferences and going out and the weekends together so it's not so bad. I'm scared to start volunteering though, this weekend I really need to study medical spanish stuff so I know what is going on and can understand stuff. I hope that as time goes by she teaches me stuff and I get to help like with little stuff like taking temperatures, blood pressure, SHOTS, whatever. No one else has this type of volunteering, it's really cool and I'm so thankful to my teacher for it. She loves me, I pretty much tell her everything because, why not, we like to just sit there and chat away about all sorts of topics. I'm going to see if any of the other doctors have openings for volunteers so maybe Jill, Amy, or Greg can get in there if they want. It's weird because Jill, Greg, and I have pushed a lot for other volunteering opportunities and no one else has. I think it's because no one else needs the medical experience cause they've all been accepted to med schools and we haven't. So we have caused a lot of headache for the directors. It's annoying though that we came here to volunteer in medicine yet there aren't barely any options for volunteering. Also when we ask about other hospitals it seems as though they don't know anything and don't want to try to look and get info for us, they are just like, if you want to do something else you can look into it. That's not what I paid $$$ for! Like, they should have gone to every hospital and clinic to see opportunities and not just called. Calling here doesn't work cause if you get the wrong person they'll just tell you that it's not possible cause they're busy and don't want to deal with you. You really need to get in there and talk to the docs themselves, which is also hard to do apparently. I think they could do a better job at their job. And, when we push for this they aren't really friendly about it, kinda lame. I'm also still annoyed that they didn't protect us better when we visited the TB hospital. I'm happy though in general. I love my life here, it's the easiest, most fun, ever. Though it's kinda like I'm in middle school. I have to go home everyday for meals, I have to ask permission for friends to come over, I don't cook, they call me for my meals "kira, vas a desayunar!" they ask me what I did in school and if I like my teacher...it's funny. I'm like 4 years old, 13 years old, and 23 years old all at once. Lateley there have been a lot of planes flying, before there never were so I'm thinking the airport opened up; my teahcer said that it was being renovated to be international but I wouldn't think it would be done by now. But, maybe just the runway is up and running again...I'm tempted to go check out the airport and maybe catch a ride to see what the area looks like! I bet flying lessons are super cheap here and I think they speak english while flying, I think that's the rule of the world in flying. Though I don't really trust the maintenance here, and falling out of the sky would blow. It's so stranger here cause in the school, there is the family, and they there are the students who are studying there who aren't part of our group who live there for however long. Though, students come and go every few weeks so we meet, them, get to know them, like them, then they leave. The guys from England or wherever are leaving today, and we just got to know them and they were so fun! So far we've met and had leave us, Jess, Billy, Martin, and today Richard and Steve. It's weird. It makes it hard to even want to get to know the new people cause we know they'll be leaving soon anyway, but I'm trying, kinda, though there aren't really young ones right now. One old man is there, he probably weighs 250, lives in Florida, and is probably f/ing near 75. I'm not really sure why he wants to learn spanish now, but I suppose he can do what he wants. What else. I love salsa, it's so fun, Jill looked into getting private lessons at our school. We always see one of the teachers out dancing so it's great cause he dances with us and he's really good. Salsa is really easy for girls, you just have to be able to follow and keep the steps yet it does take some practice to be able to follow. Guys it's way harder, they have to come up with all the next moves and makes sure they lead well and still keep their steps yet hold the hand lightly. Although my spanish teacher is great, I think she isn't the brightest. I told her my hair used to be as blonde as Jills and she said that maybe my hair got darker cause the water here has chlorine here!! I'm like, no I died it like this, and chlorine is bleach and makes things white and would make my hair green, not darker. I couldn't help but tell her that was complete bullshit, but she said that's what everyone says cause girls with blonde hair, when they leave, it's darker...maybe because theres less sun here, but chlorine, no. I'm running out of things to tell you all. I get my computer in 6 days! So excited! Well, thats it for today folks. Buen dia a todos.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you, taking matters into your own hands!

Please don't fly there!

So maybe your family doesn't seem so friendly because you all leave too . . .

Anonymous said...

kira...hola. sounds like everything is so fun. i love the laid back life of the latin world:) i spent last weekend with one of my very good friends and her little twin brother and sister. they were adopted from Guatemala and the cutest things ever! anyways, i read about the flying thing and thought i would add a little tidbit. i flew in a cessna 172 in the dominican. the instruments and plane looked a little rougher than i am used to, but it ran great, even with our 250 pound pilot, Roberto, rubber toe...jajaja. however, that may not be the best place to learn. the flying styles are much different than here. no need to file a flight plan or any of that. you can cruise at whatever altitude you want...its prettty crazy.NO FAA! although the views from up there of the water and geography of the land were breathtaking. also, i did wear headsets in the dominican and they speak in spanish when they speak, which isn't as often as here. the aeronautical alphabet is the same things, but in spanish. for example: N would be Noviembre, but T is still Tango (just said in a way more like alex saying a "white shark") well good luck with your volunteering and i hope to skype with you again sometime soon!

Darcy said...

ROBERRTTOOO! Love how far and wide my jokes have spread..jajajaja!! You better not have TB, or I'm not coming! I get my passport on the 26th. So, we'll see how long it takes to get here. Still don't know about the job, they havn't hired any of us yet. Might not move to Vegas, because a have a great business idea and it will do best in austin. Peace in your hood my gringo!

Darcy said...

Oh, maybe I can come when you are leaving and help with the birdie Paco!