Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Mas

So my first full day yesterday was great! For breakfast I had soupy as hell oatmeal with banana...pretty bland but still good, though not really filling. Then for lunch FISH soup! I thought it was chicken soup until I called it chicken soup and they said, no pescado...fish. But it still tasted like chicken. Though I didn't really want to eat the fish, I did, because that's what you do. This must have been the biggest fish ever because it had monster bones, hence why I thought it was chicken. Then after lunch (everyone goes home so the family can have lunch together) the directors took us on a tour of the city to see good restaurants, coffee shops, bars, landmarks, etc. This place is really neat. Though I can't wear any jewelry because people have been mugged and its best just to give them what they want, and it's often jewelry or watches or money of course. After walking around we stopped at a restaurant which overlooks a park in the center of the city for some beers. We ordered each kind of beer so we could get an idea of which we liked. Apparently Gallo has a monopoly here so even if you don't order it, they still get the money and the other beer tastes much like Gallo anyway. Then home for dinner, which was great, 2 tortillas with a strip of meat in it, black beans, and noodles with veggies and one shrimp. My family eats really healthy so i havent really had to eat anything gross. Yesterday was good, the night before that was so nerve racking and stressful. While my host father was talking sometimes id get lost thinking about holy shit im staring at a guatemalan and im in his home and im here for 6 months. it was so weird. then id have to ask him again what he said. i find that when im on the spot to speak spanish, my brain goes blank, like i forget the easiest words. though when others are talking i know whats going on and can help others...weird. but yesterday since i wasnt super nervous with the family i did better. in 10 minutes i start my first 4 hours of spanish lessons. after that lunch with the fam, then back to school for a movie. my room is cold, and my bed is a rock so last night i got creative and put my sleeping pad under my bottom sheet and my sleeping bag between my blankets for added warmth, it was great! anyway, must go, need to find out the name of my maestro! adios.

No comments: