Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Sin Cables

So, I'm sitting at my kitchen table in my casa...I have wireless! And my great new bud Rucci, lent me her computer cause no one else has wireless (yet). This kicks ass, though may give me reason to stay up past 930pm, oh my so late! So, do you guys have any questions for me?!? I guess I've told you all just about everything that has happened to me and others, in detail. Though I don't know much about the family I live with because my memory sucks and I don't want to ask again. Tomorrow I will take pics of the house inside so you all can see it. Its way different than the other houses Ive been in, it's not traditional at all, very modern for here. I think my family is pretty well off because today we had shrimp in the soup. Rosy (mom) asked me if it was expensive in the states and I said it depended but not really, especially near the coast and then I asked her and she said that seafood is the most expensive, out of red meat, chicken, and seafood. When we got here our director told us that we'd probably rarely if ever get red meat so having shrimp for lunch was serious business, I think. It's pretty funny, the 4 year old, Camila, used to ramble on to me and I told them that I never can understand her so now everyone tells her to slow down for me, and she does, but then I have a four year old talking to me like I'm retarded, which I am basically here, but it's funny. After she says a sentance really slow, she asks me if I understand, it's super cute. Last night we did our homeworks together...she drew 3's over and over, and I wrote sentances, over and over. Ha. Lately the electricity has been going out. I think Rosy told me tonight that some power plant is doing maintenance and she thinks it goes out at 2 hours at a time but not just here in Xela, like everywhere with electricity. I don't know, I could have gotten that all wrong. But so for dinner we ate with candle light, now I understand why everyone in the market sells candles. Right when I was about to go on to the roof to see if the city was completely dark, the lights came on...booo. Have I ever mentioned I hate papaya, it tastes like the after taste from throwing up. They love that shit here. Barf. This other guy in the group and I were talking before dinner last night about how much we hate platanos and later I got a text that he got so many platanos...apparently they gave him like 5 sections, which sucks! Bad luck for him, I've only had it once and one 4 inch section was enough. Funny, I laughed out loud when I got that text, the little things here. So, the museum was boring and after that we got icecream and went home. Not an adventurous day, but this weekend will be. Hiking something and going somewhere to see a big market and learn how to weave. Tomorrow we also have a scavenger hunt around the city and a mini welcome party for James, the new estudiante. Ok, my head hurts, off to bed. Buenos noches y'all.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate papaya too!! Once in mexico when I wasn't feeling well they told me it was just like mangos. So I got a huge plate of it and yeah, not like mangos! My question for today is how much taller are you than everyone? Can you like see down the street with people all around you like shaq does in NYC?

Kira Landis said...

most people come to my shoulders but one lady yesterday came to my elbows!

Dylan said...

Dude, papaya is super disgusting. My question is do you watch tv down there? Is it weird to see things like Simpsons dubbed in Spanish?

Kira Landis said...

I dont watch really any tv cause the son watches tv and I cant understand it so I dont watch it! I have tried...boring!

MOM said...

I love papaya! What a surprise, huh? Actually, you need to squeeze some of that lime juice you said they put on everything, on your papaya. In Hawaii I think they use lemon juice, but lime will do. It makes a difference.

Do you have soup for lunch every day? Do you have anything with it? Is your weekend trip a group trip with transportation provided?